What is Veganism? Vegan Alternatives for Everyday Ingredients
What is Veganism?
Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose. This means refraining from consumption of animal products, such as meat, fish, eggs, milk, milk products and use of other animal-derived substances such as leather, honey, silk etc.
Many people feel it is a fad or that it is a diet but in actuality it is a movement, it is philosophy, it is a lifestyle choice. A lot of people are interested to know more about the vegan diet. So it's no surprise that 'Going vegan' is predicted to be a fast growing food trend.
There are 3 main reasons for people choosing veganism.
- Environmental/ Ecological
To help you try this alternative lifestyle, here are 10 Vegan Alternatives to Everyday Ingredients
10 everyday Vegan Alternatives
- Milk for tea or coffee- cashew milk, almond milk, soy milk.
- Curd- can be made with any of the above mentioned plant-based milks. Set it with a non dairy starter culture.
- Paneer- use Tofu
- Cheese- can be made with fermented cashew paste
- Ghee- use coconut butter
- White Makkhan - can be made with coconut cream
- Butter- use nut or seed butter made with pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, peanuts or almonds.
- Milk for kheer or porridge- use coconut milk
- Cream for Dal Makhani- use thick coconut milk
- Meat- you can use mock meat, jackfruit, mushrooms
Keywords: being vegan,Veganism